For today’s shout out I wanted to focus on one of my all-time favourite historians and authors, and all-round good guy, Matthew Lewis!
Matthew is an author, historian and also the Education Officer for the Richard III society – a pretty big responsibility. He’s written a number of books including:
- The Wars of the Roses: The Key Players in the Struggle for Supremacy
- The Survival of the Princes in the Tower: Murder, Mystery and Myth
- Richard III: Loyalty Binds Me
- Richard Duke of York: King by Right
- Medieval Britain in 100 Facts
- The Wars of the Roses in 100 Facts
- Henry III: Son of Magna Carter
- Steven and Matilda: Cousins of Anarchy (his latest book)
It’s clear that Matthew Lewis has a love of history and one thing I love and respect about his writing is that he’s fair. There’s no pressing of personal thoughts and beliefs, instead, he uses primary sources to peel back the long-held beliefs about history and presents the facts as they are and allows the reader to make up their minds. It’s clear that he does a huge amount of research when he writes a book and this adds a wealth of credibility to his work. I’ve read six of Matthew’s books and I’ve loved each and every one of them.
I’ve had several really great conversations with Matthew about the Wars of the Roses and although we don’t always see eye to eye (Richard III did kill my beloved Sir William Brandon after all!) he’s a man that knows what he’s talking about and can also have a good laugh.
If you haven’t read any of Matthew Lewis’ books then I strongly encourage you to get to your local bookstore or jump online and order them – I promise you won’t regret it!
You can find Matthew on: